CODESYS is used for the automation of commercial buildings and private homes, for example for intelligent lighting control, shading or air conditioning for individual rooms or complete floors or for the management of entire building complexes.
Why is that so?
- CODESYS supports heterogeneous system architectures consisting of compact controllers for example to monitor individual rooms or of panel controllers to control different rooms with a single device, aggregate control systems and other automated systems used in buildings.
- Different devices from different manufacturers can be used to automate buildings with CODESYS. System integrators can choose their preferred devices independently of the manufacturer. With established industrial standards such as OPC UA, or web technologies like MQTT or REST API, external system architectures can be connected flexibly and reliably to the CODESYS system.
- Thanks to integrated options for network and fieldbus configuration, flexible network topologies can be developed by using BACnet®, KNX®, Modbus, CANopen®, and PROFIBUS. Industrial Ethernet protocols such as EtherCAT® or PROFINET can also be used.
- The CODESYS Web Visualization makes room data readily accessible to facility managers. Using Data Sources, they can access or collect the required room data for monitoring purposes. Likewise, a service technician can display and modify the status data of primary systems, aggregate controllers, floor or application controllers via Internet access without being on site himself.
- CODESYS provides the necessary possibilities for compliance with IT security in order to protect the systems against unauthorized access or data manipulation. The same established technologies as are relied upon today, e.g. in online banking are used.
CODESYS is the market-leading, manufacturer-independent IEC 61131-3 development system in industrial automation. In this 8-part video series, you will learn which advantages CODESYS offers you specifically in Building Automation.
You can download the sample projects used in the videos free of charge from the CODESYS Store.
Part 1 - Introduction
Part 1 provides an overview of the solutions CODESYS offers for the most important challenges in the sector. After a comprehensive introduction, you will learn more about current standards, the levels of application development, and the benefits provided by CODESYS in Building Automation.
Part 2 - CODESYS standard features for Building Automation
Part 2 begins with a brief introduction to CODESYS and its features. An example project will show you the concrete benefits of using CODESYS in Building Automation. We will introduce you to the most important features both in theory and in practice.
Demonstration in CODESYS
12:31 - Contents of the example project
12:47 - Description of the project and its components
14:04 - Libraries
14:45 - Structured Text ST
15:49 - Visualization
16:14 - Projet compare and Revision control
17:24 - Live demonstration
Part 3 - Important communication protocols
Part 3 will give you an insight into the most prominent communication standards in Building Automation. Protocols like BACnet, OPC UA, and KNX will be explained in theory and demonstrated practically.
00:00 - Welcome
00:51 - BACnet theory
04:12 - BACnet demonstration
08:40 - OPC UA theory
10:38 - OPC UA demonstration
13:21 - KNX theory
15:55 - KNX demonstration
18:44 - Modbus theory
20:32 - Modbus demonstration
24:38 - CANopen theory
27:02 - CANopen demonstration
32:22 - Network variables
Part 4 - CODESYS Application Composer
Part 4 will introduce you to the CODESYS Application Composer, which is a development tool for the efficient creation of application variants consisting of recurring functions. To get you started, we will explain the basic functional principle of the CODESYS Application Composer and its typical areas of implementation. This video will also use a sample project to demonstrate how to use the Application Composer, as well as a real world example.
Part 5 - CODESYS HMI
In Part 5 you will learn more about the visualization integrated in CODESYS. Especially the HMI visualization is demonstrated with the help of an example project that you already know from previous videos of the series.
Part 7 - CODESYS for manufacturers of aggregates and plants
Part 7 illustrates the challenges of the complex and rapidly developing industry that plant manufacturers face. With this in mind, you will learn how CODESYS can help you to create your own automation system quickly and safely.
00:00 - Intro
00:32 - Reasons to integrate freely programmable controllers
02:25 - Industry in transition - Soaring challenges for system integrators
06:05 - Industry in transition - Cloud software companies joining in
08:34 - Requirements for automation systems
10:47 - Realizing Building Automation systems with CODESYS
12:13 - Additional information
Part 8 - CODESYS for system integrators
Part 8 shows how system integrators can benefit by using CODESYS and freely programmable controllers. Selected example projects illustrate the benefits of working with CODESYS.
CODESYS - One software. All applications. Your Automation Solution.
CODESYS - One software. Any field of application. Your automation platform.
Various suppliers present CODESYS-compatible devices and exciting solutions that can be useful for your automation tasks. (Only available in german language.)
DALI-Aktoren via DALI-BACnet - Gateway MBS UGW for use in building automation
BACnet MS/TP via BACnet-MS/TP-Router MBS UBR-01 Mk II for use in building automation